Sunday, September 19, 2010

Links to some of my favorite GF staples

"Granola" bars:
Enjoy Life
Enjoy Life makes a lot of GF items and is relatively easy to find.  It's all somewhat tasty.  Their "granola" bars are edible, not amazing, but great if you're on the go, hiking, or camping.






LARABAR
LARABARs are my favorite GF bars!  They make a wide variety of flavors, some are better than others, but you should try them and pick your favorite flavor!







Granola (great with yogurt, cottage cheese, or just milk):

Trader Joe's
Trader Joe's Gluten Free Granola






Pasta:

Quinoa Pasta
I really prefer this to brown rice pasta.  It has a better texture and doesn't get gummy and sticky like many GF pastas. 





Trader Joe's
If I'm at TJs and out of pasta, I like to pick up a few bags of brown rice fusilli.  It's cheaper than the quinoa pasta and often times more convenient, since I do most of my shopping at TJs.  The penne just isn't as good (I don't know why).  It's great with their Vodka Sauce and Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage!




Bread:

ENER G
I'll be quite honest.  Unless it's fresh baked, warm, right out of the oven, Gluten Free bread sucks.  It just does.  It's not good.  Bread, like beer, should have gluten.  But if you're really having a hankering for something that really needs bread (grilled cheese, hot dog, hamburger, toast, etc) Ener G tapioca bread is the way to go.  It tastes MUCH better if it's toasted.  Ener G pretzels... not good.




Snacks:

Glutino
I love Glutino pretzels, they have a wonderful texture.  I haven't tried their other products, but I'm excited to!



MI-DEL Cookies
Tim and I love the ginger snaps... they're delicious!







back to NATURE
For some reason, these crackers on not listed on the website.  I don't know why... but they are very tasty.  If you can find them, give them a try!








Beer:

Redbridge Beer
As a micro brew enthusiast it pains me to recommend an Anheuser-Busch product, but this is the best GF beer I've found thus far.







Flour and baking mixes:
 Namaste Foods
Namaste Foods has consistently had the best baking mixes out there.  I haven't tried all of their mixes yet, but I've been very pleased with what I have tried.  They also make an all purpose GF flour.



 Bob's Red Mill
 Bob's Red Mill makes a HUGE selection of GF flours and mixes.  It's a great company to support and their products are wonderful!    I believe they make an all purpose GF flour blend, however the main cookbook I use for baking has a very specific flour blend that all the recipes are based off of, so I have yet to try Bob's pre made GF blend.  I use a blend of Bob's Sorghum, Potato, and Tapioca flours for my GF flour needs. To get a good texture, you need to blend a few types of GF flours together.



FYI... I have yet to find a GOOD premade GF pancake or pizza crust mix (I tried TJs GF pancake mix... AWFUL!  Like eating little disks of cardboard).  I just make my own from scratch.  I'll post those recipes later.

1 comment:

  1. Try Mrs. Leeper's corn rotelle. It has a great texture. The color's a little odd, since it's bright yellow, but I love it with marinara type sauces or in casserole. Great texture. I can usually buy it at Albertson's, but it's cheaper to by it by the case from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete